Swim Meet 101
ORDER OF EVENTS:
Events alternate Boys' heats & Girls' heats by Age Group
- 6&U only swim 15-yd individual events of freestyle, backstroke, and breaststroke at dual swim meets, except at end-of-season meets where they will also swim 25 yards the same as all older age groups.
- Medley Relays*: (100-yd Relay: 7-8 & 9-10; 200-yd Relay: 11-12, 13-14 & 15-18)
- Freestyle: (15-yd: 6&U; 25-yd: 7-8 & 9-10; 50-yd: 11-12, 13-14 & 15-18)
- Backstroke: (15-yd: 6&U; 25-yd: 7-8 & 9-10; 50-yd: 11-12, 13-14 & 15-18)
- Breaststroke: (15-yd: 6&U; 25-yd: 7-8 & 9-10; 50-yd: 11-12, 13-14 & 15-18) **
- Butterfly: (25-yd: 7-8 & 9-10; 50-yd: 11-12, 13-14 & 15-18)
- Freestyle Relays: (100-yd Relay: 7-8 & 9-10; 200-yd Relay: 11-12, 13-14 & 15-18)
*Medley Relay = backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, freestyle
**Coaches/Parents Relays may follow breaststroke events
LABELING YOUR SWIMMERS FOR A SWIM MEET:
Mandatory Arm Markings for Swimmer Identification (prior to event arrival):
- Left Arm - Last Name
- Right Arm - Swimmer Number
- Pro-tip: Use a sharpie.
Optional Arm Markings for Swimmer’s Own Event Info:
- Ensures swimmer knows his/her events for meet.
- Mark four columns and label them at the top with E, H, L, S (event/heat/lane/stroke).
- Pro-tip: Easiest for swimmers to read forearms or thighs; use permanent marker which will stay on in pool.
- For example, 50 breaststroke: event 3, heat 6, and lane 4. You mark the following:
WHAT TO BRING TO A MEET:
- Be Prepared - Summer Swim has the fun of Summer Weather!
- Weather delays will postpone the swim meet to the following evening (usually Wednesday), Same Time, Same Place.
- Make sure everything is labeled with the swimmer’s name and CPC or Cary Park Sea Dragons.
- Swimmers should arrive in their swimsuits (red and black suit or plain black/no other team logo swimsuit) and bring a bag containing:
- Goggles and BLACK Sea Dragon Cap (or plain black cap/no team logo)
- Plenty of dry towels
- Plenty to drink
- Healthy snack
- Game(s) to play while waiting for your events
- Optional – money for concessions
- Arrive Early for your self-selected Volunteer job.
- Check in to the Volunteers table to be confirmed for your Volunteer assignment
- If something comes up ahead of time, you are responsible for helping to find a replacement for your volunteer job.
- If at the last minute for a Meets volunteer job, reach out directly to our VP Volunteer and/or Volunteers Associate as our meets volunteer jobs all need to be filled. email@example.com